Blog Archive
Wednesday, 21 November 2012
ONE CLUB CREATIVE BOOT CAMP
What an amazing experience. The creative boot camp was a four day work shop created in Newyork. We were segmented into groups of 4 to 5, and asked to create a campaign for The Peace Day. This was a project which involved encouraging countries globally to strip the colour of their national flag; Connoting the idea that the colours represent an identity which is associated with war and violence. The idea of a white flag, portrayed surrender and peace.
The first day
Today,I was put into my group. I was joined with a Year One Advertising student called Jess, two Second year students called Bekki and Tom and a Third year student called Lilibeth. The group seemed promising and we all exchanged numbers.
The second day
Today was a slow start. Lilibeth with all her prior experience decided to take the role of group leader, or should I say group Dictator. Honestly, her aggressive nature did intimidate me, it made it hard to speak up and share my ideas. Speaking to other members of the group about this, they all agreed we should get more involved, however, this was easier said then done. We ended up sticking to the idea she created "As it was the only idea which could make us win". However, although winning was a prime goal for me, I really wanted to use this opportunity to develop my team work skills... and to an extent I did. I learnt tolerance. We all decided, unwillingly, to agree to the idea of locating Peace Booths (Photo booths) around major cities within the UK. The boots would create a free vintage style photo strip promoting the 21st of September National peace day, and in addition, was connected to the most popular social networking sites, which allowed individuals to upload a pre-existing photo of themselves. The photos they uploaded would be used to create a collage of faces on the main National flag. Creating unity and brotherhood amongst those who participated. Furthermore, the booth was connected to the Peace day website, which allowed the participants to juxtapose there photo on a pre-exististing digital map. Furthermore, on the 21st of September, all those participants who's photo was uploaded would arrive at Trafalgar square to see the map there faces were on and then take part in a peace walk... My problem with this idea, was that it lacked a belief or a message. I believe it was missing something. I didnt feel the idea of tehre faces being on a flag with a million other faces, was a good enough reason for them to leave there house and get involved and in addition, it didnt link to the Peace day theme. I brought these issues up. They were brushed aside.
The third day
The idea was changed without my consent. They added a strip light to the peace booth to add a decoded a subliminal message on the photo strip. Then an ambiguous stretcher to reveal a digital flag. The original idea was a normal water colour flag. The idea was good. I just wish they would of told me sooner. On this day, we all created the presentation. I created a draft of the flag. Lilibeth didnt like it.
The Fourth day
The day of the presentation. We prepared and rehearsed. The presentation went well. However, Lilibeth and Jesse constantly spoke over each other, which led to a massive conflict after the presentation. We didnt receive any awards or recognition. However, this experience taught me the importance of speaking up for what you believe in and ensuring each member of my group gets an equal say in the creation of a project.
Thankyou and Good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment